Welcome Home

QUICK LINKS

WEEKLY POLL

What is the city's greatest improvement need?


Charleston Public Schools


Schools are located at 125 W. Main Street

 

Administration Office: 479.965.7160

Superintendent Jeff Stubblefield

 

Charleston
Elementary School

479.965.2460
Principal Bruce Womack

Charleston
Middle School

479.965.7170
Principal Melissa Moore

Charleston
High School

479.965.7150
Principal Shane Storey

 


School Website: http://tigers.wsc.k12.ar.us

 
School Calendar

 


History of Charleston Public Schools

 

1855

Charleston Academy established by Professor Elijah Northum

1856

School ran by Judge John M. Pettigrew

1857-1858

New School built on the site of the Old Union Church

1859-1867

Civil War Period school closed

1867

School reopened by Judge Pettigrew, ran until 1882

1868

Free Public Schools established by state legislature

1870

Masons built a new school building site of the present Masonic Lodge

1879

Sacred Heart School established

1882

T. A. Pettigrew took over school for 2 years

1884-1885

Henry Stroup taught for the term

1888

Charleston had 19 school districts

1909

Present location determined and 2-story brick building erected to house all the grades, but primary grades remained in the original building.

1923

Auditorium added

1929-1931

Consolidated Vesta, Pagaet, Hurricane, Zion, Potts, Bollinger, Pine Mountain, Marietta, Grand Prairie, Ursula and Bloomer.

1936

Old gymnasium was built using native stone, asnd is currently in use by the Charleston Public Library.

1940

Home Economics cottage added

1954

Integration - First school in the South to integrate.

1961

New Elementary was built. Renovated High School building, removed the second story (known as the Fine Arts building.

1969

New Gymnasium was built

1970

Acquired building from the National Guard for use as Band building

1973

Sacred Heart School consolidated

1977

Dale Bumpers Fine Arts Building, Doll Means Auditorium and classrooms replaced the Fine Arts building. This became known as the "Annex." The old bus shed was converted to a study hall. The new bus shed was moved to the old band building.

1992

New classrooms were added to the Annex, a new central cafeteria was built and the old cafeteria will be converted into classrooms.

2004

New High School and Activities Center opens. Safe Room built in Elementary School Courtyard.

2010

 Old Main removed and new construction was added to the Annex to become the Charleston Middle School.